Why a checking account is required
Transactions are processed through a method called Automated Clearing House (ACH) which requires a link to your checking account. We use this method because the lower transaction processing cost results in the savings we're able to pass on to you!
Privacy and security
GasBuddy® protects your bank account information using best practices in the payment industry to ensure your data is kept private and secure. All banking and transaction data is transmitted securely to and from our service partners. Upon user enrollment, we employ fraud protection services to validate the identification of our users. Furthermore, we transmit the minimum amount of required data to complete transactions or any other functions of our service.
Bank isn't listed
If your bank is not listed you can still manually verify your checking account. Simply click Enter Account Manually on the Link Account page.
From there, enter the account and routing numbers for a valid checking account.
Linking your bank account
You will have the option of linking your bank account by signing in using your credentials, or by providing your bank account and routing numbers.
If you do not have online banking credentials, we can still manually enter your bank. Simply click Enter Account Manually on the Link Account page. From there, enter the account and routing numbers for a valid checking account.
If you see an error message while connecting to your bank account using your online ID and password, first please ensure that you are using the proper login credentials for your bank.
Verifying your bank account
If you've linked your bank by providing your routing and account numbers, you will need to first confirm the two small amounts placed into your bank account, then wait an additional 4 business days (Mon-Fri, excluding holidays) for the verification process to complete. Here is a break down of the steps:
- Check your bank account statement for 2 small deposits. These will arrive in 1-3 business days (Mon-Fri excluding holidays) after submitting your bank information.
- Once you see these deposits, open the GasBuddy app where you will receive a notification to confirm the deposits. If this notification is dismissed, you can continue the process by tapping the banner above the 'Find Gas' button. For older versions of the app, you may need to visit the savings section of the app to continue.
- GasBuddy will then perform a Secondary Verification that will take up to 4 business days (Mon-Fri excluding holidays). During this process we withdraw the deposit amounts to ensure we can transact with the account.
- Once your account is completely verified you will be able to activate your card!
Alternatively, you can go to enroll.gasbuddy.com to confirm your deposits online, it will recognize you have an account and allow you to confirm the 2 small deposits!
If you've linked your bank account using your online credentials, you will see a small amount placed into your account, then taken out in a span of about 1-3 business days (Mon-Fri excluding holidays). This is to verify we can properly debit and credit your account. When you see the small amount debited from your account, your bank is verified. If necessary you will be able to activate your card soon after the verification is complete.
Error message when trying to link
There are some banks that Pay With GasBuddy is no longer allowing to be linked to the system due to the issues they cause. Direct Banks (also known as branchless banks, virtual banks, or online-only banks) cannot be linked up to the Pay With GasBuddy program.
This includes, but is not limited to, accounts such as American Express Centurion, PayPal, GoBank, Green Dot Bank, Chime, and Bancorp Bank accounts.
In order to proceed, you will need to link an accepted bank account.
What to do if you don't receive two small deposits
This only applies to accounts that are linked through providing a routing and account number. Once you have added your bank by account and routing number, 2 small deposits will be sent to your account. After 1-3 business days (Mon-Fri excluding holidays), check your account for these deposits. If you do not see the deposits in your bank statement, please do the following:
- Check you are using a compatible checking account. For more information click here.
- Contact your bank to ensure you have the correct account and routing numbers. If you think you have entered the wrong account or routing number, contact customer support here to update your account.
- Ask your bank if they may have blocked the deposits from showing in your account. If so, have them authorize the transfer.
If you still do not have deposits in your account, you will need to link a different bank to your Pay with GasBuddy account.
How many cards can link to one bank account
At this time, you're able to link up to four Pay with GasBuddy cards to one checking account.